The Ugly Duckling
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Our registered company number is 09699031 and
our registered company address is 75 Aston Road, Shifnal, Shropshire, TF11 8DU.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Notice are welcomed and should be addressed to
email@example.com . If you wish to contact us by phone, the general number is 01952 257979
For the purpose of compliance under Data Protection legislation (GDPR), the Data Controller is The Ugly Duckling.
Purpose of this Privacy Notice
This notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be
processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your
personal data and how we will treat it. We keep certain basic information when you visit our website and/or
speak to us on the telephone and recognise the importance of keeping that information secure and letting you
know what we will do with it.
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers
and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy
policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies
before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Information we may collect from you
In the context of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), Personal Data means, ‘Any information relating to an
identified or identifiable natural person, including by means of an identification number or one or more factors
specific to an individual’s physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity (including IP
addresses and cookie strings).’
The personal data we may collect from you may include the following information:
- Personal data you provide to us in person, on the telephone or through our website.
- General information about you such as your name, address, contact telephone number, email address.
- Information regarding personal dietary requirements and/or allergies.
- Personal data you provide if you subscribe to any of our mailing lists.
- Financial details such as credit card details.
- Information about your use of our website such as your IP address and personal data gathered using cookies.
The lawful basis for collecting this information is in connection with any contract you may enter into with us
and to pursue our legitimate business interests in operation our business.
Special Categories of data means data relating to more specific, personal data that should be treated with extra
protection and care. This includes information such as data concerning your health with regard to specific allergies
However, if we seek to collect sensitive personal data from you, we will seek your explicit consent first or in the
course of collecting that data.
Option (for organisations asking for data where there is no statutory or contractual obligation or right do so). You
are not under any statutory or contractual obligation to provide such data to us.
Sources of Personal Data
We may collect and process the following personal data about you: -
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on www.theugly-duckling.co.uk (our site). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us by letter or email we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- If you contact us by telephone we will record the data you provide to us in our booking system.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to our website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs, operating system, browser usage, downloads and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
IP Addresses and Cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system
and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is
statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual and we will
not collect personal information in this way. However, where an IP address or cookies means that a user is
identifiable; we will treat this as a personal data and will secure it in the appropriate way.
We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard
drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help
us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests
- To speed up your searches
- To recognise you when you return to our site
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting
of cookies. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of our site. Unless you
www.theugly-duckling.co.uk uses the following cookies: -
- WordPress – Login/Security
- Google Analytics
- Lead Forensics
Purposes of Processing
Our legitimate interest for collecting and processing your information is in order to provide, understand, and
improve our Services.
Our lawful basis for processing the data is that the processing is necessary for our legitimate business interests
or the legitimate interests of a third party.
We use data held about you in the following ways: -
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
- To notify you about changes to our service
Storage and Transfer of Personal Data
We understand our obligation to ensure that appropriate technical and organisations measures are taken to
prevent unauthorised or unlawful processing, loss, damage or destruction of personal data.
Therefore, we will ensure that relevant personal data is in a secure location, only accessed by authorised
individuals, only processed by authorised individuals and cannot be lost, damaged or destroyed.
We confirm that: -
- All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers
- Any payment transactions will be encrypted, and the data held securely
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our
best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any
transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and
security features to try to prevent unauthorised access, in line with GDPR, as set out above.
The data that we collect from you will not be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European
Economic Area (“EEA”).
We engage service providers to perform functions and provide services to us e.g. to fulfil your order, to
process payments, to help us understand and improve the use of our Services, such as Google Analytics. We
may share your private personal information with such service providers subject to obligations consistent
with this privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures, and on the
condition that the third parties use your private personal data only on our behalf and in line with our
By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps
reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice, as
outlined above. We understand that under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which applies from 25 th
May 2018, any organisations that process data for EU (“European Union”) data subjects have to act in accordance
with the GDPR even if they are located outside of the EU. This means they have to secure, hold, process etc. data
properly in line with the legislation.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties: -
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- If you have been referred to us through one of our partnerships, we may provide our partners with statistical data about your usage.
- Organisations that have a specific role laid out in law such as statutory bodies, regulatory authorities and other authorised bodies.
- Organisations that we have a duty to or are permitted to disclose your personal information by law.
- Third parties we may use to recover money you may owe us or to whom we may sell your debt.
Retention Periods for Personal Data
We understand our obligation not to keep data for any longer than is necessary for the purpose it was obtained.
We will keep the data referred to in this Privacy Notice for 12 months. After this we will securely destroy it.
Your Rights under the General Data Protection Regulation
Objections to Processing
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before
collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to
any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by not giving us details
you don’t wish to be processed when making a reservation which is the process of how we collect your data. You
can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to prepare for the GDPR, we have been contacting people to ensure they still want marketing (or any
other relevant material) to be sent to them, asking them to proactively ‘opt-in’ to this service. Therefore, after 25 th
May 2018, only users/customers/clients who have opted in will continue to be contacted with updates regarding
our services, product, website etc.
Access to information, Withdrawal of Consent, Rectification of Data & Right of Erasure
You also have the right to:
- Access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised by raising a ‘Subject Access Request’
- At any time, withdraw your consent to us holding data about you or to having information sent to you
- Request for your data to be rectified. Where you identify that your personal data is incorrect, or incomplete, you can request correction, deletion, or modification of your personal data
- Request that your data is erased in certain circumstances
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please send an email to email@example.com OR write to
The General Manager at The Ugly Duckling, Long lane, Telford TF6 6HA requesting this, and we will advise you
accordingly. We will follow a reasonable process set out under GDPR including advising you of our decision, and
any recourse you may have to complain.
If you have shared any information through our services, you may wish to allow your data to be transferred to
another organisation either by you receiving the data and transferring it, or by the data being transferred directly.
This right to data portability only applies to data that you have provided to us, where the data processing is based
either on your consent or on the basis of ours, or others, legitimate business interests and where the processing is
carried out by automated means, and it will only be transferred
where it is technically feasible to do so. If you wish to do this, please send an email to email address requesting
this, and we will advise you accordingly.
Following a discovery of any data breach (when personal data allowing an individual to be identified is processed
without authorisation, and which may result in its security being compromised), consideration will be made
regarding whether the matter needs to be reported to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and whether
individuals who are potentially affected need to be informed.
Right to Complain to Supervisory Authority
If you wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights
you may have), you have the right to do so with your local supervisory authority. The Information
Commissioner’s Officer (ICO) is the UK's independent body set up to uphold information rights and you can find
out further information about them by going to https://ico.org.uk/
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Any changes we may make to this document in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate,
notified to you by e-mail. However, we advise that you check this page regularly to keep up to date with any
Contacting you about other products and services
We may from time to time contact you to advise you of special events and services that may be of interest to you;
this includes but is not limited to details of any promotions we may be offering relating to the business of The Ugly
Duckling. The lawful basis we rely on is to pursue the legitimate interests of our business, unless we have
otherwise obtained your specific consent to do so. You can opt out of receiving any communication from us at any
This notice was last updated on 25/05/2018.